Spicy Tomato and Eggplant Curry
My vegan vegetable vindaloo is a meatless take on the spicy dish created in Goa when the Portuguese colonized the state. Chunky veggies like eggplant, tomatoes, and onions are simmered in a flavorful spicy sauce that is seasoned with vinegar, something the Goans are known for.
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 1 medium-size eggplant, cut into cubes
- 2 medium size tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 1/2 jar of Tikka N’ Curry Vindaloo sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup yogurt (optional)
- Chopped cilantro for garnishing
- Heat the 2 tbsp. oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Season eggplant cubes with salt. Sauté the eggplant cubes until browned on each sliced side. Set it aside.
- In the same saucepan, add the remaining oil. Add tomato cubes. Sauté for approximately 2 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add 1/2 jar of Tikka N’ Curry Vindaloo sauce and eggplant into the saucepan.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring periodically, over medium heat. Remove lid and continue cooking, stirring periodically, for approximately 5 more minutes, or until the eggplant is soft.
- Add 1/2 cup yogurt, chopped cilantro if desired.
- Serve hot with basmati rice or naan.